Postdoctoral Contract EUCLID 2021
The “Universidad Politécnica de Cartagena (UPCT)” is searching for a postdoctoral research scientist to work on topics within the project “Euclid Mission: UPCT Contributions to Flight Model Integration and Onboard Software, Science Preparation and Exploitation” PID2019-110614GB-C22, led by Dr. Anastasio Díaz-Sánchez and Dr. Rafael Toledo Moreo in coordination with the IAC project “Participation in the NISP instrument and preparation for the scientific exploitation of Euclid” PID2019-110614GB-C21.
Tasks: The successful candidate will pursue research in the following fields:
- Support of the activities within the Euclid consortium for an appropriate scientific exploitation of the Euclid data. This entails the integration and active participation in various Science Working Groups of the consortium.
- Studies of high redshift galaxy clusters and protoclusters, and algorithms for their detection in public surveys and Euclid data.
- Detection and characterization of high redshift lensed galaxies and in particular submillimeter galaxies (including strong lensing analysis).
- Scientific exploitation of the SHARKS survey, especially in terms of its complementarity with Euclid.
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning techniques apply to the detection of astronomical objects (clusters, protoclusters and strong gravitational lensing).
The distribution of activities will be carried out according to the interests and needs of the research group, and taking into account the research profile of who awarded the position. Particular attention will be given to applicants with experience in similar activities, in programming (e.g. C++, python) and in general preparatory science for Euclid.
Requirements: The candidates must be in possession of a Ph.D. degree in Astrophysics or Physics.
Duration: The contracts will run until 31 December 2022 with a possible extension of 3 years more. The estimated date of commencement will be during the second quarter of 2021.
Remuneration: The gross annual salary will be 34.500 €, with deductions typically 20% for income tax (IRPF) and social security, subject to national labor regulations.
Presentation of applications: Applications must be sent to Anastasio Díaz-Sánchez (e-mail: email@example.com) by 9 April 2021. The following documentation must be sent:
- CV, containing a list of publications
- Report on research activity and justification of suitability for the job (not exceeding 2 pages)
You should also include the names and email addresses of up to two scientists familiar with your work.