International Astronomical Union (IAU) Office for Astronomy Outreach (OAO) Assistant Outreach Coordinator
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) Office for Astronomy Outreach (OAO) is a hub for coordinating astronomy public outreach activities around the world. The aim is to make it easier for the public to access information about our Universe and local and global astronomy events while building networks to support and disseminate information to the amateur astronomy and public outreach communities. The IAU OAO is located at the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ), Mitaka Campus, Tokyo, Japan.
The IAU and NAOJ now seek an excellent individual to join the IAU OAO, to provide support to the IAU OAO activities. Candidates should meet the following requirements:
- Experience in writing and editing publications with several contributors.
- Knowledge of social networking: content production and social media management.
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills while working in multi-cultural teams.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- An honours degree or equivalent in astronomy or a closely related field.
- Good computer skills (knowledge of design tools will be advantageous).
- Experience in working with the astronomical and/or outreach/education communities.
- Skills in written, visual and verbal communication.
- Demonstrable good time management.
Experience in, or working knowledge of, Japanese would be advantageous. This position requires the applicant to undergo regional and intercontinental travel.
The Assistant Outreach Coordinator (AOC) will be appointed according to the normal conditions of service of NAOJ employees. This is a contract position for three years, with the possibility of renewal subject to performance.
Interested candidates should send a covering letter and full CV, including the contact details of at least three (3) references, by email to the IAU OAO International Outreach Coordinator (IOC), Lina Canas (firstname.lastname@example.org). The selection process will begin after 15 May 2019.