"Detection and characterization of planetary systems"
IAA-CSIC offers a postdoctoral contract in the framework of the Project “Severo Ochoa”. Candidates are expected to carry out their activity in the research line “Towards the understanding of the planetary systems”, within the framework of the CARMENES project. CARMENES is aimed at detecting terrestrial temperate exoplanets around small red stars with the radial velocity technique to characterize the planetary system as a whole, including its star and circumstellar environment. The research activity under the proposed contract will focus in the IAA responsibility for the immediate exploitation of the CARMENES survey, its Legacy-Plus project and the instrumental upgrade of CARMENES, together with the follow-up of NASA's TESS mission. The candidate will also have the opportunity to engage in the Phase B activities for the instrument HIRES/ELT.
* Scientific exploitation of CARMENES, with data obtained through guaranteed time observations, and of its extensions (CARMENES Legacy-Plus).
* Exoplanet characterization through the analysis e interpretation of high-resolution spectra and the determination of high-precision radial velocities and orbital parameters.
* Depending on the complementary expertise of the candidate, she/he will carry out any additional studies of dynamical stability of the planetary system, the circumstellar environment, planet formation, system evolution, influence and correction of the stellar activity on the planetary parameters or atmospheric characterization through the study of wavelength-dependent radial velocity curve amplitudes at transit time, to name a few possibilities.
* Degree in physics and PhD preferably in Astrophysics.
* Good scientific publication record on planet detection and/or characterization.
* Expertise in scientific programming and fluency in spoken and written English.
Period (months): 18 months
The appointment will be for a total of 18 months. It is estimated that the date of commencement will be during the first quarter of 2021. The selected candidate may apply for a 2-year postdoctoral contract to be offered by the CARMENES group at the IAA by mid-2022.