Postodoctoral position in Space Physics (Magnetospheric Multiscale mission), University of Murcia, Spain
The Department of Electromagnetism and Electronics at the University of Murcia, Spain, opens a call for applications for a Postdoctoral contract (initially until December 2024, with possibility of extension subject to performance and funding), financed by the Ministry of Science, in the frame of the R+D project: The Oxygen Plasma Cloak in the near-Earth space environment.
Until filled. Applications received before 31st December 2022 will receive full consideration. The appointment is expected to begin during the first semester of 2023.
The successful candidate will perform original research in the frame of the MMS mission. Magnetic reconnection is a universal process that converts magnetic energy into kinetic energy. It is of particular interest in space plasmas, where it drives large-scale phenomena such as coronal mass ejections or magnetospheric storms. The project is centered in studying the effect of the multiple ion populations present in the magnetosphere and that participate in magnetic reconnection. The successful candidate will analyze in-situ data of the Magnetospheric Multiscale mission to advance our understanding of the role of ionospheric populations in regulating the solar wind – magnetosphere coupling. The satellite observations will be contrasted to analytical and numerical models which are developed within the project. The candidate is expected to collaborate with scientists at various international institutions, and attend international conferences.
What we offer
- Be involved in international research in Space Physics, using data from MMS/NASA mission.
- Work at the University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain. Murcia is the seventh city of Spain in terms of population (~400 000 habitants), well known for its mild climate and its ~3000 hours of Sun per year on average. It is a vibrant University city located ~50 km from the Mediterranean sea.
- Initial contract until 31st November 2024. Salary is 36,966 Eur gross/year, (regulated by the Ministry of Science).
- Medical expenses of the successful candidate and family residing in Spain are covered by the National Health system.
- Attendance to conferences and hardware are covered by the project.
What we look for
- Strong academic record with experience in plasma physics or related field.
- Good knowledge of at least one programming language using for data analysis (such as Python, Matlab, IDL, or similar) and the UNIX/LINUX environment.
- Previous experience in data analysis of the MMS mission will be an asset.
- involvement in scientific research, analytical skills, thinking independence combined with good communication/team-work skills.
- Good command of written and spoken English.
- PhD in a field relevant to the project (e.g. physics, astronomy, mathematics, computer science).
Application procedure and information about the position
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject ‘Postdoc MMS 2023’, including the following documents:
- Application letter with a brief description of your academic achievements and motivating your interest in the position.
- CV including your relevant experience and knowledge.
- Contact data (e-mail, phone number, institution) of 2 reference persons who may recommend the candidate.
- Publication list.
Any questions about the position can be send to email@example.com