Open positions on microelectronics design at ICCUB Barcelona
The technology unit of the Institute of Cosmos Sciences of the University of Barcelona (ICCUB) opens several positions in microelectronics design.
The ICCUB is an interdisciplinary center with more than 70 long term scientists, more than 20 engineers and 80 postdoctoral researchers and PhD students offering an international and multicultural environment. The ICCUB also hosts a vibrant fundamental research program in cosmology, astrophysics and particle physics, with a strong technology unit supporting our participation in international collaborations in observational astronomy and experimental particle physics.
The selected candidates will be involved in the R&D of new ground and space instruments for some of the scientific key international projects, among others: LHCb detector at CERN, the Cherenkov Telescope Array (CTA) observatory and the High Energy cosmic-Radiation Detection (HERD).
The ICCUB technology unit has an important technology transfer activity in medical imaging and single photo sensor readout technology. Some of our developments have been transferred to the industry. The selected candidates will be also involved in this activity, in coordination with international leading research centers and industries.
In particular, they will be involved in PETVISION Pathfinder Open project funded by European Innovation Council (EIC).
As a research engineer specialized in ASIC design there are several tasks to be performed by the candidates. These are the capacities requested for the candidates (not all of them are required for the candidate)
- Analog ASIC design:
- definition of specifications
- circuit design and layout
- writing of the technical operating documentation and the simulation and test reports
- Digital ASIC design:
- Experience in VHDL or Verilog, and TCL scripting.
- Knowledge of the full design flow: from RTL description, to synthesis, physical implementation, post layout verification and generation of a clean GDS.
- Low-power optimization techniques.
- Experience with lab instrumentation.
- Testing, verification and characterization
- Calibration & characterization
- Participation in test beams
- Participation in radiation qualification campaigns
- The candidate will collaborate effectively with all parts of the ASIC design: from definition to conception and until evaluation.
- The candidate must be able to work in collaboration with other engineers.
- The selected selected candidates will work in the follow-up of the projects, writes the documentation and publications and makes the associated presentations
- The selected candidates will advise the users (physicists and engineers directly attached to the research groups) on the operation of the circuits
- The selected candidates will collaborate with groups from different research centers and industries
- Engineering degree or equivalent with additional training and relevant experience oriented towards electronics, computer science and development of ASICs.
- Good knowledge of electronics and excellent knowledge of computer tools for ASIC design (Cadence) and simulation (spectre).
- Written and oral proficiency in English to perform all tasks described in both languages
- Good knowledge of digital and signoff tools (Cadence Genus & Innovus tools).
- A PhD in electronics will be positively considered.
- A few years of professional experience in ASIC development will be positively considered.
Human capacity for conciliation and negotiation
- Ability to manage, plan and anticipate tasks before execution
- Ability to organize large international projects
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in parallel
- Ability to follow, acquire and master the latest high-tech techniques
The position is offered for two years, with the possibility of extending them up to a total of four years.
Gross annual salary will be commensurate with experience of the candidate and includes social security and public healthcare benefits, covering spouse and children.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND DEADLINE:
Applicants should provide a curriculum vitae, including education, experience, list of publications and presentations, and a letter of motivation including research interests.
Applicants must email Dr. David Gascon Fora (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the Curriculum Vitae (CV) in free format and a motivation letter.
The selection process, according to the number of applicants, will consist of curricular pre-selection and a candidate interview.
- Curriculum vitae of the applicant. It is important to provide detail concerning tasks, technologies and tools used in previous jobs. Up to 60 points.
- Candidate interview. In this interview, the candidate has to demonstrate problem-solving skills and technical skills, up to 40 points.
The applicant must score at least 80 points to pass the assessment.
Application will be open until positions are filled.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
The Institute of Cosmos Sciences is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Institute of Cosmos Sciences promotes a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage women and underrepresented minorities in physical sciences to apply. For additional information please see the Diversity, equity and inclusion Commission.
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE OF COSMOS SCIENCES:
The ICCUB is an interdisciplinary center with more than 60 long term scientists, 20 engineers and 80 postdoctoral researchers (55% international) and PhD students (30%international) offering an international and multicultural environment. The ICCUB also hosts a vibrant fundamental research program in cosmology, astrophysics and particle physics, with a strong technology unit supporting our participation in international collaborations in observational astronomy and experimental particle physics.
As part of the University of Barcelona, the ICCUB is a recipient of the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R) Award, which recognises, among other achievements, respect for equal opportunities and the capacity to attract talent in a positive working environment that promotes the pursuit of successful research careers. The ICCUB respects the principles of open, transparent, merit-based selection. We strongly encourage women and underrepresented minorities in physical sciences to apply. For additional information, please see the Diversity, equity and inclusion Commission.
The ICCUB is located in Barcelona, considered the 8th World's Best Cities 2021: one with near-perfect weather year-round, miles and miles of beaches, iconic parks, striking architecture and colourful neighbourhoods that march to their own beat—artistic, sophisticated, bohemian. Moreover, it is a pole of attraction for the technology sector, a top choice to establish a company in this sector, and it hosts some of the world's major technological events, such as the Mobile World Congress and the Smart City Expo. In addition, Barcelona and its metropolitan area is a leading destination on the map of global technological ecosystems and has infrastructures such as science parks, universities and the 22@ district.