One Postdoctoral Contract ESPRESSO RV 2018
The IAC (Tenerife) invites applications for ONE postdoctoral contract to work on topics within the project “High resolution spectroscopy oriented to the study of Exo-Earths and the formation of the Milky Way. Scientific exploitation of ESPRESSO and HORS” (AYA2017-86389-P), led by Dr. Carlos Allende Prieto and Dr. Jonay I. González Hernández.
Research topics at the IAC include most areas of astrophysics: solar physics, planetary systems, stellar and interstellar physics, galaxy formation and evolution, and cosmology and astroparticles. These research lines are supported by an ambitious instrumentation program. The IAC has been selected as a Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence by the Spanish Government in 2015, a prestigious recognition awarded for the second time to the IAC as a leading research institute in Spain. Further information about the IAC's research programme, its Observatories and the 10.4m GTC is available at the IAC's web page (http://www.iac.es).
Duties: The selected candidate will pursue research related to the following fields:
- Search for exoplanets of the Earth and supertierra type around nearby GKM stars, making use of the GTO programs of ESPRESSO, GTO of HARPS_LFC and the RoPES program of HARPSN
- Characterization of exoplanets of type Earth and supertierra with transits confirmed with the mission K2 of Kepler and the mission TESS, making use of the GTO programs of ESPRESSO and other available instruments such as HARPS(+NIRPS) and HARPSN.
Position requirements: The candidates must have a good publication record and provide evidence of experience in leading original research in the field of “Search and characterization of exoplanets using the radial velocity technique”.
Qualification requirements: To be eligible for admission, applicants must have obtained a Ph.D. degree in Astrophysics or Physics, by the application deadline (October 15, 2018). A copy of the degree or corresponding stamped certificate (issued by the University where the degree was obtained) must be included. Applicants who have not completed their Ph.D. degree within the application deadline will not be considered.
Selection stage: The selection process will consist of two stages: a merit assessment phase and an interview.
In the merit assessment stage, the Selection Committee will verify and rate the merits documented by the applicants. The maximum score that can be awarded for the assessment of merits will be 80 points, which will be calculated as the sum of the scores obtained in each of the sections.
A) Maximum score: 60 points
- Scientific and technical contributions to the field of research.
- Scientific publications, in quality and quantity, listed in the Science Citation Index (SCI conference contributions, teaching tasks, participation in scientific committees, membership of scientific conference committees, conference organization, journal refereeing, and stays at other research centres.
- Every career stage since the defence of the doctoral thesis will be taken into consideration
B) Maximum score: 20 points
Adequacy of the candidate’s training and experience for the contract applied for
- Experience in searches forlow-mass exoplanets using the radial velocity technique
- Experience in analysis of time series of radial velocity, application of Bayesian methods, genetic algorithms, application of Gaussian processes and similar methods
- Experience in stellar activity analysis through time series of spectroscopic indexes and photometry
Method of accreditation for both sections: Research statement, which includes a report on the technical and research activity carried out, accompanied by documentation that proves what was stated in it.
C) Interview. Maximum score: 20 points
Candidates who have obtained the minimum score to pass the first phase (50 points) will be called to the second assessment phase at a specific time and date. The second phase will consist in an interview that can take place either in person at the IAC headquarters or using internet communication software (e.g., skype or zoom) that allows voice and image transmission.
During the interview, the candidates will present, for a maximum of 20 minutes, their vision about the suitability of their professional profile to the position applied for and the development of their research activity if awarded the contract. The Selection Committee may then ask questions about the contents of the presentation and any other aspects that they deem relevant.
The presentation may be in either Spanish or in English.
In this exercise, a score of 0 to 20 points will be awarded, of which:
Up to 10 points, correspond to the suitability of the professional profile to the position applied for.
Up to 10 points, correspond to the candidate's vision of the future and planned research activity in the context of the position applied for.
To pass this second phase a minimum score of 15 points will be necessary.
To pass the selective process, it will be necessary to obtain a minimum score of 65 points.
In order to ensure the effective equality of opportunity for men and women, in pursuance of the provisions of the IAC's Second Plan of Equality, and to ensure that certain documented circumstances of candidates do not prejudice the success of their application, the following special circumstances will be taken positively into account:
- Maternity leave, up to 18 months after the date of birth or adoption.
- Paternity leave, as provided for by Social Security, for the duration of the corresponding permit.
- Severe illness or accident with medical leave for a minimum of 3 months.
- Care of dependents for a minimum period of 3 months, as provided for by Law 39/2006.
- Work permits for the care of dependent children or adults.
Training: Those candidates who have done their Ph.D. research at the IAC must have undertaken a period of training in other research centres. This period must consist of either one continuous year or 18 accumulated months (including periods of training during their doctoral period).
Duration: The appointment will be for a period of two years. The starting date is expected to be in the period December 1, 2018 to March 1, 2019.
Remuneration: The gross annual salary is 33,547 Euros, subject to up to 20% income tax and Social Security contributions (depending on the personal situation of the candidate). Medical insurance under the Spanish National Health Service will also be provided for the candidate and will also cover spouse or registered partner (de facto partner) and children (if relevant).
Relocation allowance: This call includes a relocation allowance (for the appointed candidate only) comprising: the cost of the flight ticket (booked and issued by the IAC), temporary accommodation for up to two weeks (organized by the IAC) and a per diem rate up to two weeks. The allowance cannot exceed the amount of 2,500 Euros.
Non-UE citizens: Applicants who are not citizen of a country belonging to the European Union are invited to apply for this position, but, if selected, will be allowed to sign the contract with the IAC only after obtaining the compulsory documentation required to live and work in Spain.
How to apply: The required documentation must be submitted using the online application system http://www.iac.es/jobs/research/, and received by the application deadline. Alternatively, candidates may follow the instructions in the official announcement (in Spanish only).
The following documentation will be sent in in a single file in PDF format:
- Application form (Annex I, duly completed and signed)
- Curriculum Vitae, including publication list
- Research activity report and statement of suitability for the position (maximum of 2 pages)
- Copy of the Ph.D. degree certificate
- Copy of the national identity document or passport
In addition, the names and e-mails of three scientists familiar with the work of the candidate must be indicated.
Late applications or those that do not include the mandatory Application Form (Annex I), will not be considered. In case of incomplete applications, the applicant will have a period of five (5) days, starting from the day after publication of the provisional list of accepted and excluded candidates, to provide the missing documentation.