International Outreach Officer (IOO)
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) Office for Astronomy Outreach (OAO) is a hub for coordinating astronomy public outreach activities around the world. The aim is to make it easier for the public to access information about our Universe and local and global astronomy events while building networks to support and disseminate information to amateur astronomy and public outreach communities. The IAU OAO is located at the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ), Mitaka Campus, Tokyo, Japan.
The IAU and NAOJ now seek an excellent individual to join the IAU OAO, to provide support to the IAU OAO activities. Candidates should meet the following requirements:
- Experience in project management of international projects;
- Experience in working and communicating with astronomical and/or outreach/education communities;
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills while working in multicultural teams.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- An honours degree or equivalent in astronomy or a closely related field.
- Skills in written, visual and verbal communication.
- Good computer skills (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Microsoft 365, Google Workspace), knowledge of design tools (e.g. Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator) and willingness to learn new ones;
- Demonstrable good time management.
Experience in, or working knowledge of, Japanese would be advantageous. This position requires the applicant to undergo regional and intercontinental travel (in accordance with all health and safety measures guidelines).
The International Outreach Officer (IOO) will be appointed according to the normal conditions of service of NAOJ employees. This is a contract position for three years, with the possibility of renewal subject to performance.
Interested candidates should send a Cover Letter and full CV, including the contact details of at least three (3) references, by email to the IAU OAO Director, Lina Canas (firstname.lastname@example.org). The selection process will begin after 15 July 2021.